TMI QUESTIONS: PLEASE READ ME A STORY!


1. Describe your favorite place to cozy-up with a good book.
In My Bob Timberlake Leather Gentleman’s Chair in the living room.

2. What do you read when you're on the toilet?
Never read in the bathroom, but do occasionally play a game of Solitaire on my phone.

3. Do you read when taking a bath?
What’s a bath?  Haven’t taken one in years.  Only showers.

4. If you can, do you read when at the gym?
All my recent gym experience has been in the swimming pool, so no.

5. Do you still read newspapers and or magazines?
Newspapers are only read in e-versions, mostly on my phone in spare moments.  I do subscribe and enjoy a lot of magazines including  National Geographic, Smithsonian, Sierra Club and Our State (a magazine about North Carolina).

6. What are your favorite genres to read? 
Fiction from the 18th and 19th centuries, history (especially Revolutionary War), and biographies.

7. Do you read one book at a time or can you read several?
Mostly one book at a time, but occasionally two if they are different genres.

8. If you start a book, do you finish it no matter what?
Well, I try to, especially if it is a so-called “classic.”  But there have been a few that just could not be finished.

9. Did your parents read to you when you were growing up?
No, neither my father or mother ever read to me.
Greg reading to his nephew, Ian (my grandson) about 18 years ago.
Note the Leather Gentleman's Chair that is MY favorite reading place.

10. Have you read to your kids/nephews/nieces?
Yes, I read to both of my sons, but probably more to the oldest one.  Today, he is a voracious reader.  There is an age difference of 4 ½ years between my sons.  My older son read a lot to my younger son when he was little.  My younger son is also a reader. My grandson, who is a college sophomore, and the son of my older son, also reads a lot.

11. How do you feel about reading books vs. using electronic devices? Have your feelings evolved from one or two years ago?
I enjoy my Kindle more and more.  I can read longer without eye strain using the Kindle.  Also my muscular dystrophy is affecting my ability to hold a book (especially a large, bulky, or heavy one) more and more, so the Kindle is very easy to hold, often with only one hand, and turn the pages.  If the book has a lot of beautiful pictures, especially “coffee-table books,” then I want the real thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying this TMI! To your #5: I love Nat Geo, too. I've been reading it since 1972!
#10 just adds to the point that kids who are read to turn out to be readers! And some who aren't read to, too!
#11 - yeah, I agree. My father gave me an illustrated copy of Walden a few years ago. It wouldn't be the same on the Kindle, even a color Kindle!

Peace <3
Jay

Ur-spo said...

The magazine about NC fascinates me.
I suppose I am like many people who live out of NC who see it as Jesse Helms country. I wonder how 'conservative' is this magazine?

David Jeffreys said...

Jesse Helms is dead and long gone from NC, thank goodness. After all, tobacco is really no longer around to defend (though I do still grow it on my farm). Unfortunately, the rural conservatives and because of republican gerrymandering, the governor and the state house is totally republican.

Our State Magazine, never gets into politics -- liberal or conservative -- and instead concentrates on localities, food, and travel throughout the state. It reviews NC authors, and shows NC arts. It is a delightful magazine that adds to my hoarding, because I cannot bear to throw one away!