Bucket List versus Accomplishment List

I suppose that I have already accomplished most of the places that I wanted to go with the exception of Australia and New Zealand. I have always thought that it would be great to visit the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. But now that would have to be using a glass bottom boat, because I'm too old to either snorkel or scuba.  

So an accomplishment list might make more sense for this blog, because I have been able to visit many wonderful places in the northern hemisphere. Some of these places are so great that they deserve blog entries of their very own such as my visit to England and my cross country Amtrak train trip. For both of those trips I kept detailed diaries and plan to publish those diaries as posts in this blog.  

I have been to 48 of the 50 United States and therefore too many cities. Most of them would not have appeared on my bucket list. However the following places and cities would have been on my bucket list and I have already visited them: 
  • Oahu and the Big Island in Hawaii 
  • Seattle with the Space Needle and Mount Rainier 
  • San Francisco with its cable cars & Golden Gate Bridge 
  • Las Vegas (although would not have been on my bucket list.)
  • Los Angeles (also not on bucket list)
  • Tucson, Arizona (I would have liked to see more of the Southwest including the Grand Canyon.)
  • New Orleans at Mardi Gras time 
  • Chicago
  • Boston
  • New York City on which I did a recent post 
  • Philadelphia for genealogical research as well as NYC.
  • Washington, DC 
  • Miami Florida, where I lived in Coral Gables  -- so I visited the Everglades and Key West, of course.
  • Orlando, Florida including Disney World
  • I would liked to have followed the Lewis & Clark trail, although I was in Great Falls, when the Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail Interpretive Center was opened and was interviewed for the local paper. I have also visited Lewiston, ID and Clarkston, WA across the river from each other.
  • During my college years, I hiked the Appalachian Trail from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap two years in a row.
  • Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive from end to end.
Internationally: 
  • Athens, Greece with the Parthenon on the Acropolis 
  • London, England and other parts of England 
  • Taipei, Taiwan
  • Beijing, China and toured the Forbidden City
  • Bangkok, Thailand  and bought Jim Thompson silks
  • Seoul, Korea 
  • Toronto, and Niagara Falls, Canada 
  • Acapulco, Mexico
  • Nassau, Bahamas
  • Port-au-Prince, Haiti to visit dictator Jean Claude ("Baby Doc") Duvalier
See my website for some of these places.

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

Do come visit and we will take you to the grand canyon.

David Jeffreys said...

What a kind invitation -- thank you! If I ever get these legs working better, I may take you up on it!