David G. Crews House
Tar River Road (SR 1635)
Granville County, North Carolina
David G. Crews (1839-1921) built this traditionally fashioned, mid-nineteenth century farmhouse. He left it to his son, Luther, who in turn left it to his son, the second David G. Crews, its present owner. Two stories tall and one-room deep, the house has 6/6 windows set in crossetted surrounds and a long ell that was originally connected to the rear only by a roof. Remaining mid-century interior details include post and lintel mantels, two-panel doors set in flat-angled surrounds and an octagonal handrail at the center-hall stairway. Though later added, the house’s most striking feature is the sinuous band of balusters that frame its front porch.
~Heritage and Homesteads. 1988.
The Granville County Historical Society, Oxford, NC